Wellness for the Family: Valentine’s Day Classroom Treats
Its crunch time to get those classroom sweets ready for Valentine’s Day!
Registered Dietitian Grace Derocha, with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, has some healthier options. Overnight oats and conversation cuties!
Raspberry and Cherry Jam
- 1 cup frozen or fresh raspberries
- 1 cup frozen or fresh cherries, pitted
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup oats
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp honey
- To make the jam, heat raspberries, cherries and coconut oil in saucepan on medium heat. Stir until the fruit is mush and the juices are coming out in about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Then add honey and chia seeds. Stir for about 5-10 minutes until it is the jam consistency you prefer.
- Cool down before storing in a container in the refrigerator.
- For the overnight oats, combine the oats, chia seeds, almond milk and honey. Stir thoroughly. Place in refrigerator for 6 to 8 hours.
- Before eating, layer the overnight oats with the raspberry and cherry jam in a mason jar or preferred serving bowl. Garnish with raspberries, cherries, dried cherries or whatever other toppings you desire. Enjoy!
For more recipes and health and wellness tips, visit AHealthierMichigan.org.