Benzie County Mom Facing Charges Following Crash That Killed 4 Year Old Son

“This is a tragedy that could have been avoided had the mother been more responsible,” said Benzie County Sheriff Ted Schendel.

A 4-year-old boy is dead and his mother is facing 15 years behind bars after a roll over crash.

We first told you about the deadly crash last month.

It happened on M-115 in Benzie County on January 13th just before 5 a.m.

The sheriff’s office says Isabella Bronson lost control of the car, crossed the center line and rolled, crashing into several trees.

Her son, Reece Watkins, was pronounced dead at the scene.

A memorial of Reece now sits along M-115.

“Whenever there’s injuries involved, in this case a death, we always take blood from the driver so that started the process,” said Sheriff Schendel.

The sheriff’s office says toxicology results showed meth in Bronson’s system.

They also say Reece was thrown from his car seat, leading them to believe he was not properly buckled in.

Bronson is now facing three charges: operating while intoxicated causing death, 2nd degree child abuse and a misdemeanor use of meth.

“Operating while intoxicated causing death would require us to prove that at the time Ms. Bronson was driving her car, that she was under the influence of what we’re alleging in this case is a controlled substance, specifically methamphetamine,” said prosecuting attorney Sara Swanson.

It wasn’t just those results that helped the investigation.

“There’s been other things,” said Sheriff Schendel. “There’s been a lot on social media, there’s been a lot of outrage in the community.”

There is a post on Bronson’s Facebook.

It’s apparently Bronson saying “I did one line. 12 hours before I got behind the wheel with my son”.

“Everybody thinks drugs is just going to effect that one person,” said Sheriff Schendel. “Here we have an innocent person that wasn’t taking any drugs but now no longer is with us because of someone else’s actions to take the drugs, so it’s a tragedy.”

Bronson has bonded out and is expected to be back in court later this month.