Wellness for the Family: Slow Cooker Broccoli, Ginger, Turmeric Soup
If soup with a bit of pizazz sounds amazing right now, look no further.
Registered Dietitian Grace Derocha, with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, is back for some savory slow cooker recipes to keep you warm and full on these cold and snowy January days.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups of leeks chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger chopped
- 8 cups of broccoli florets roughly 2 heads
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of black pepper or to taste
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 6 cups stock of choice, use vegetable for vegan soup
- Optional mix-in 1-2 cups cooked chicken
- Optional garnish – roasted chickpeas and dollop of plain Greek yogurt
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, 8 or so minutes, until leeks are cooked through.
- Transfer the leeks to a 5-quart slow cooker with the ginger, broccoli, turmeric, salt, sesame oil and stock.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours, until broccoli is tender. Do not overcook because it may become bitter.
- Using a blender or immersion blender, blend until creamy and smooth. If adding chicken or chickpeas mix in after blending. Include a dollop of plain Greek yogurt before serving. Enjoy!
For more recipes and health and wellness tips, visit AHealthierMichigan.org.