Wellness for the Family: Slow Cooker Thai Chicken, Lemon Lentil Soups
We’re celebrating National Soup Month with some healthy soups that can keep that winter chill away. Check out these recipes from Registered Dietitian Grace Derocha, with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
Slow Cooker Chicken Thai Soup
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 12 ounce cans of coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 heaping tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- cilantro for garnish
- Mix the curry paste, coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce, brown sugar and peanut butter in a slow-cooker bowl. Place the chicken breast, red bell pepper, onion and ginger in the slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Add in the peas and cook for 1/2 hour longer. Stir in lime juice and serve with cilantro garnish. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Lemon Lentil Soup
- 6 carrots diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups red lentils
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped
- In a six quart slow cooker, add all ingredients EXCEPT lemon zest and juice and rosemary.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Stir in lemon zest, juice and rosemary.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
For more recipes and health and wellness tips, visit AHealthierMichigan.org.