Wellness for the Family: Healthy DIY Holiday Gift Ideas
When we buy things like taco seasonings and ranch dressing from the store, do we ever think about what’s in them?
Registered Dietician Grace Derocha, with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, can show you how to make your own.
She says these taco and ranch dressing recipes work well at home, or as gifts for the holiday season!
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 6 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Store in an airtight container. You can keep in dry cool place in the pantry.
- Use about 2 tablespoons of the taco seasoning for every 1 pound of lean meat. Use more or less depending on your preference.
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- 8 Tbsp dried parsley
- 4 tsp dried dill
- 4 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tsp onion flakes
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp black pepper
Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix. Store in airtight container in a cool, dry place.
For ranch dressing:
- Whisk – 1 Tablespoon of Mix + 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt + 1/4 Cup milk (milk substitute) + pinch of salt to taste
For Ranch Dip
- You can use the ranch mix to make Ranch Dip by mixing in sour cream or plain Greek yogurt. Use about 1.5 cups per tablespoon of mix. You may add a pinch of salt to taste.