Wellness For The Family: Healthy Campfire Recipes
S’mores and hot dogs make great campfire fodder—but that’s not the only thing you can make.
Registered Dietitian Grace Derocha, with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, has a few healthy ideas to try.
- ½ pound redskin potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ pound sweet potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 pre-cooked chicken sausages, cut into 3/4-inch circles
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 cup minced flat leaf parsley
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat or prepare campfire.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the potatoes, sausages, bell pepper, onion, olive oil, garlic, oregano, paprika, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Using 2 pieces of foil per packet (each 12 to 15 inches long) for the grill. If cooking in the campfire use 4 pieces of foil for each packet, for a total of 4 packets, form an X by overlapping the foil.
- Divide the potato mixture into 4 portions and place in the middle of each foil X. Wrap the foil over each portion, pinching to seal.
- Place the foil directly on the grill and cook until the potatoes are tender and starting to brown, about 30 minutes. In the campfire, check every 15 minutes.
- Carefully unwrap the foil and serve hot. Enjoy!
Apple Pie Foil Pack
- 1 apple cored and sliced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp dried cranberries or golden raisins
- 1 Tbsp chopped pecans
- Preheat grill (to medium heat) or prepare campfire.
- Cut a 12 x 18-inch sheet of nonstick foil and if cooking in the campfire use 3 sheets of foil.
- Place apple slices on foil along with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and dried cranberries or raisins.
- Wrap packet securely with double-fold seals, allowing for a bit of room for heat expansion. If cooking in campfire use 3 sheets of foil.
- Place packet on grill; cover and cook for about 15 minutes over medium heat. If cooking in campfire cook for about 10-12 minutes.
- Be careful when removing from the grill. It will be very hot. Open carefully due to steam.
- Garnish with pecans. Serve warm, right in the foil pack. Enjoy!
For more recipes and health and wellness tips, visit AHealthierMichigan.org.