Before you pick up the fireworks for the Fourth of July make sure you know what to do if something goes wrong.
Many people hand sparklers off to younger children without first showing how to handle them safely.
Sparklers can burn up to 2,000 degrees and can become dangerous if not handled properly.
The Cadillac Fire Marshal, Anthony Wolff, is urging people to use caution before lighting them off.
“All fireworks are dangerous and they need to be respected,” says Anthony Wolff.
The bright and festive fun of the fourth can quickly take a devastating turn if you’re not careful, especially around young kids.
The small sticks seem harmless but they can spark serious trouble.
“Kids ages 5 to 9 are more than twice as likely to sustain an injury and here we are with these devices that are literally as hot as a torch or welder putting in the hands of a little kid,” says Wolff.
Wolff says you should always watch your kids and make sure sparklers aren’t waved in front of their faces.
Another important thing to remember is to always light just one sparkler at a time.
You can have your fun but also make sure to dispose of sparklers properly.
Once the sparkler burns out make sure to have a bowl of water to dispose the sparkler in.
There are also generic firework tips to make sure you have a safe Fourth.
Make sure to read cautionary labels before igniting, make sure no children are around, make sure alcohol isn’t involved, never relight a “dud” firework and always have a bucket of water nearby.
Most importantly we want to wish everyone a safe and fun holiday.