Wellness for the Family: Back-to-School Eating Around the World
Students are heading back to class in just a few weeks!
One of the most important aspects of their little lives is nutrition.
Michelle Dunaway and Grace Derocha, a registered dietitian with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, have some healthy recipes you can pack in their lunch bags.
Italian Lunch Skewers
• Fresh Mozzarella
• Pepper Jack
• Colby Jack
• Summer Squash
1. Make 2-3 skewers choosing a variety of food group options on each skewer. Have your child help you make it. Your kids will enjoy making them and eating them.
Asian Bento Box Pizza
• Naan Bread
• Grilled Chicken
• Green Onion
• Red Bell Peppers
• Carrot Sticks
• Sesame Seeds
• 1 cup water
• 4 Tbsp packed brown sugar
• ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
• 1-2 Tbsp honey
• 1 large clove of garlic, finely minced
• ½ teaspoon ground ginger
• 2 Tbsp cornstarch
• ¼ cup cold water
1. Combine the 1 cup water, brown sugar, soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger in a medium saucepan and set over medium heat.
2. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the ¼ cup water and whisk until dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan.
3. Heat the sauce until it thickens to your desired thickness. If the sauce becomes too thick, add more water to thin it out.
1. Pack all ingredients in separate compartments in a container for lunch. Kids can then make an Asian pizza for lunch.
2. Place desired ingredients on top of naan bread, then drizzle with teriyaki sauce.
Tropical Greek Yogurt Parfait
• Greek Yogurt (recommend using honey or vanilla Greek yogurt)
• Shredded Coconut
1. You can either pre-make the yogurt parfait with your child for their school lunch or you can give all the ingredients to the child to put together at school.
2. Layer yogurt and desired fruit and cashews into bowl or cup. Enjoy!
For more health and wellness tips, click here.