Wellness for the Family: Greek Grilled Shrimp Rice Salad
A lot of people out there are ready to get the charcoal and start making their favorite summer recipes.
In this week’s Wellness for the Family, Michelle Dunaway and Grace Derocha, a registered dietitian with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, show us how you can get the grill going inside, too.
Greek Grilled Shrimp Rice Salad
– Grilled Shrimp
– 2 lbs. cleaned, deveined and peeled shrimp – raw
– ¼ olive oil
– 1 tsp sea salt
– ½ tsp pepper
– 1 Tbsp. grated lemon peel
– 1 Tbsp. oregano
– 1 clove of garlic, minced
– 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
– 1 tsp salt
– ¼ tsp pepper
– 1/3 cup olive oil
– 1 tsp oregano
– 2 Zucchinis
– Red or yellow bell pepper (2 total)
– 1 Red onion
– 1 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
1. Put shrimp and marinade in large bowl to marinate for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
2. While the shrimp marinates, cook wild rice pilaf and set aside.
3. Also chop salad vegetables into 1-inch pieces. Grill or pan grill using olive oil. Set aside.
4. Once shrimp has marinated, grill shrimp. If using a grill, thread shrimp on metal skewers or well-soaked bamboo skewers and grill for 5-6 minutes, turning often until shrimp turns pink and opaque. If cooking via grill pan, you do not have to use skewers. Cook in pan for about 6 minutes, again until pink and opaque.
5. Serve shrimp and vegetables on top of wild rice pilaf. Lightly drizzle dressing on top and optional to serve with a side of tzatziki. Enjoy!
For more healthy recipes and tips for everyday wellness, click here.