Wellness for the Family: National Minority Health Month
A lot of the time, it can be hard to convince your family into trying new foods, especially if they’re supposed to be healthy.
This week in Wellness for the Family, Michelle Dunaway and Grace Derocha, a registered dietitian with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, help you venture outside the box.
Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken with Cauliflower Rice
• 2½- 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 2" pieces 1 onion diced
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 tsp curry
• 2 tsp garam masala (found in most grocery store’s spice section)
• 1 tsp cumin
• ½ tsp cayenne powder
• ½ tsp ground ginger (or 1"inch knob fresh ginger, minced)
• 1 14 oz. can light coconut milk
• 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
• 3-4 drops liquid smoke (gives the chicken a smoky, Tandoori type flavor)
• salt, to taste
• ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
• 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets- for cauliflower "rice" (optional) you could also serve over jasmine white or brown rice.
• cilantro, chopped (for garnish) (optional)
• lime (optional)
For the Butter Chicken
1. Place chicken pieces and onion in a slow-cooker. Sprinkle garlic, curry, garam masala, cumin, cayenne pepper and ginger over chicken pieces. Add coconut milk, tomato paste and liquid smoke. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
For the Cauliflower Rice
1. In a blender (or food processor) add approx. 1 cup of the cauliflower florets and process until the cauliflower is the consistency of rice. This will only take a few seconds. Transfer to a large bowl and repeat until the remaining cauliflower is processed. Beware not to over process, avoid turning cauliflower into a mash.
2. Coat a large skillet with olive oil, add cauliflower rice and cook on medium-high heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
1. Spoon Butter Chicken over Cauliflower Rice and top with a dollop of yogurt, a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of cilantro. If you prefer you can serve butter chicken over jasmine white or brown rice.
For more healthy recipes and tips for everyday wellness, click here.