Skip to Main

CMU Student Charged With Hazing After Man Suffers Severe Peanut Allergy

An act of hazing may be to blame for what happened to this man’s face.

Police say a college student has turned himself in for doing it.  

We first told you about this in early March, when Mt. Pleasant City Police say a mother reported her son was hazed at a fraternity house.

Police say the incident happened last October at a house on S. Main Street in Mt. Pleasant.

9&10’s Cody Boyer and photojournalist Charles Lupo knocked on doors to learn more today.


According to court documents, Dale Merza rubbed peanut butter on the face of a 19-year-old Rochester Hills man while he was passed out at the Alpha Chi Rho house in Mt. Pleasant.

His mother said he has a severe allergy to peanuts.

What happened next, she says, nearly killed him.

As of last Friday, police say someone has come forward.

The prosecutor signed a warrant for Dale Merza, a CMU student now charged with hazing causing injury.

I spoke with the fraternity’s attorney who says the allegations are false.

"I think that these are some wild allegations that are being blown out of proportion as to what the facts of the events and to how things went down really, truly occurred," says Bruce Leach, Criminal Defense Attorney and the fraternity’s lawyer.

Merza could face up to 93 days in jail for the misdemeanor.

As for the fraternity, police say it is not an official fraternity at CMU and not affiliated with the university.

Local Trending News