Feeding Your Family From The Farmers Market: Healthier French Onion Soup
Ever heard of prebiotics or probiotics?
Probably pretty likely, but do know what they actually are?
Michelle Dunaway and Grace Derocha, a registered dietitian with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, break down what they are, why you need them and simple ways to get them.
Healthier French Onion Soup
• 2 pounds yellow onions, sliced thin and chopped for texture
• 3 tbsp unsalted butter
• 2 tbsp flour
• 1 bay leaf
• 1/2 tsp dried thyme
• 1/8 cup dry sherry
• 1/4 cup Cognac or brandy
• 1/4 cups white wine
• 9 cups beef stock
• kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
• Whole wheat or whole grain bread, toasted – to serve
• Swiss and Gruyere cheese – garnish
1. In a Dutch oven, or large pot, sauté the onions with the butter over medium heat, until the onions are soft and golden, about 20 minutes.
2. Add flour, mixing well another 2-3 minutes.
3. Add thyme, bay leaf, sherry, wine and brandy, and simmer uncovered for 10 more minutes.
4. Add the beef stock, salt & pepper to taste, reduce heat. Cover and simmer gently for about 20 minutes.
5. Remove bay leaf when ready to serve.
6. Before serving, ladle 1-1/2 cups soup into each oven-proof bowl. Place bowls on a baking sheet.
7. Place sliced toasted bread rounds into each bowl and top bread with cheese. Broil 2 to 3 minutes, until cheese melts. Serve hot. Enjoy!
For more healthy recipes and tips for everyday wellness, click here.