Scallops with Hazelnuts and Warm Sun Gold Tomatoes
– ¼ cup coarsely chopped skin on hazelnuts
– 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
– kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
– 1 ½ lb large sea scallops, side muscle removed, patted dry
– 1 pint Sun Gold or grape tomatoes
– 1 small shallot, finely chopped
– 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
– 2 Tbsp fresh tarragon leaves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toast hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Toss with 1 Tbsp oil; season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 Tbsp oil in a large cast iron or non stick skillet over medium high heat until almost smoking. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Pour off most liquid in skillet. Add tomatoes and shallots, season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing occasionally, until some tomatoes have burst. About 4 minutes. Mix in vinegar and serve with scallops topped with tarragon and hazelnuts.