Feeding Your Family From The Farmers Market: Family Friendly Crockpot Recipes
If you’re cleaning up, clearing out or having friends and family over, it’s hard to go wrong with a savory, slow cooker recipe.
Michelle Dunaway and Grace Derocha, a registered dietitian with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, are helping feed your family with these tasty recipes.
Crockpot Honey Ginger Chicken with Broccoli
• 4 Chicken Breasts – should total about 1 pound – Cut into bite size pieces!
• 1/2 C. Honey
• 3 Tbsp. Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
• 1 Inch Fresh Ginger Root, Grated
• 2 Tbsp. Lime Juice
• 2 Tsp. Sesame Oil
• 1 Tsp. Rice Wine Vinegar
• 4 Garlic Cloves, Smashed
• 1 Medium Yellow Onion, Diced
• Salt & Pepper to Taste
• 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
• 1 Tbsp. Water
1. Spray crockpot or use a crockpot liner.
2. Put everything in the crockpot except for the cornstarch and water and stir.
3. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or low for 4-6 hours.
4. 30 minutes before serving, mix the water and cornstarch together. Pour into the crockpot and stir. Cook for about 20-30 more minutes so it thickens.
5. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Note: You can also take steamed broccoli or vegetable of choice and toss with chicken before serving.
Crockpot Lasagna Soup
• 1 pound ground sirloin or ground turkey
• 3 cups of beef, chicken or vegetarian broth
• 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1 Tablespoon of dried parsley
• 1 Tablespoon dried basil
• ½ cup chopped onion
• 1 cup of chopped zucchini
• One 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (may use fresh tomatoes too)
• One 6 ounce can of tomato paste
• 1 cup of V8 or other vegetable drink
• ½ teaspoon pepper
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 2 cups uncooked pasta noodles – I recommend shells or cavatappi noodles
• 1 cup of water
• Optional topping – shredded cheese
1. Mix together can of tomatoes and tomato paste in the crockpot.
2. Add broth, beef, garlic, parsley, basil, onion, zucchini, V8, salt and pepper. Note: beef can go into the crockpot without pre-cooking.
3. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high or 4-5 hours.
4. When 30 minutes are left of cooking time, add 1 cup of water and pasta. Stir to combine. Put lid back on and continue cooking for remaining 30 minutes.
5. Serve hot. Enjoy!