Skip to Main

Mason County Man Dies In House Fire

Promo Image: Mason County Man Dies In House Fire

A Mason County man is dead after a fire at his home.

Those who know the victim are heartbroken.

The call came in around 8:30 Sunday morning that there was smoke coming from a Sheridan Township home.

Firefighters responded to the home on Benson Road and put it out.

Then, they found the body of Samuel Morse inside. 

“He will be missed quite a bit,” says Earl Morse, Uncle.

Family and neighbors of Samuel Morse are struggling, knowing that he is no longer with them.

Samuel died Sunday morning after his Sheridan Township home caught fire.

Now they are remembering who he was.

“He was a good guy, loved to fish and spent a lot of time fishing around the lakes. I had fished with him a few times and of course hunting with him,” says Morse.

Samuel’s Uncle Earl says he was an Army Veteran who loved being outdoors.

He has cherished memories with Samuel out in the woods.

“A lot of the time, when we had been hunting, he’d get a nice ten point buck in the woods back here,” says Morse.

Firefighters were able to put out the fire, and the home is standing, but you can see damage from the outside. Neighbors say Samuel had been working on renovating the home.

“He had been working real hard on that house and everything and it was starting to look real nice and everything. I mentioned to him at one time when I stopped down, I said to him, things look pretty good here and am glad to see you’re working on it and everything. It’s hard for me to see this happen like this,” says Terry McIntosh, neighbor.

The fire remains under investigation.

But the community is keeping Samuel and his family in their thoughts.

“I’m so deeply sorry to see this happen. Anytime you see a loss like this in a family, in a close community like this and everything, you’re going to have a very bad feeling,” says McIntosh.