Feeding Your Family From The Farmers Market: Apple Cranberry Turkey Meatballs
If you’re planning a fall tailgate or get-together and are looking for something tasty to add to the crock pot, this healthier option may be exactly what you need.
Michelle Dunaway met up with Grace Derocha, a registered dietitian with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, at a local apple orchard and came up with a recipe for turkey meatballs with some seasonal ingredients you may have never thought to try before.
Apple Cranberry Turkey Meatballs
Apples are in season in Michigan from the end of August through December. Cranberries are in season in Michigan from September through October.
• 1 lb of lean ground turkey
• ½ cup of breadcrumbs
• 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 1 cup finely chopped, washed, cored and peeled tart apple, think Granny Smith
• ¼ cup of finely chopped cranberries
• 1 ½ Tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp sea or kosher salt
• ½ tsp black pepper
• Cranberry relish
1. Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place an ovenproof baking rack on top of a large, rimmed baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the turkey, breadcrumbs, olive oil, egg, apple, cranberries, sage, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
3. Roll the meatball mixture into 1.5-2 inch balls. Arrange the meatballs on top of the prepared baking rack.
4. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until cooked through. Serve warm and enjoy!