About 150 Inmates Relocated after Staging Protest at Kinross Correctional Facility

About 150 prisoners have been relocated from an Upper Peninsula correctional facility after staging a protest.

State correctional officials say the inmates were moved after their protests led to damage in the housing units.

The Michigan Department of Corrections says the prisoner protest happened Saturday morning inside the Kinross Correctional Facility in Chippewa County, which houses about 1,200 inmates.

MDOC said in a statement that about 400 prisoners marched peacefully in the yard of the facility as a form of a small group protest across several other states.

The protests were intended to coincide with the 45th anniversary of the Attica Correctional Facility riots in western New York, which led 32 inmates and 11 workers dead.

The march on Saturday began before 9:00 a.m. and ended around 12:30 in the afternoon.

The warden and facility staff spoke with leaders of the march and were able to convince the prisoners to return to their cells.

However later that day, some inmates damaged sinks, started small fire and broke at least one window.

Those prisoners were then transported to other facilities.

Below is a statement made Sunday by Anita Lloyd, Communications Director at the Michigan Corrections Organization:

“We are still gathering information, and we’ll comment further as more information comes in. We will say, this was not an average, peaceful demonstration that anyone can brush off. Corrections officers are telling us inmates lit fire to a housing unit and barricaded themselves in housing units, two of which are now unlivable. More than 100 MDOC Emergency Response Team members and 190 additional corrections staff responded from around the state. MDOC issued a statement last night which portrayed the events yesterday as peaceful, but we believe it was more serious than that. Although we don’t agree with the Department’s characterization of the events at Kinross, we hope to partner with them to find solutions to help prevent something like this from happening again. We are feeling lucky and thankful that no one was injured. Suffice it to say, corrections officers have stressful and dangerous jobs, which require them to be ready for anything at any moment.”

No prisoners or facility staff were injured.