Missing Gaylord Girl Found, Amber Alert Canceled

“It makes you wonder as a parent, a boss, a mother, something like this could happen in Northern Michigan? It’s such a small community,” said Culver’s General Manager Jayme Elya.

A Michigan Amber Alert has been cancelled for a 15-year-old girl from Gaylord who was missing.

The 15-year-old girl went missing last night after work.

She’s on the crew at Culver’s in Gaylord. No one had seen her since 5 p.m., and police believed she was being held against her will. They sent out a Michigan Amber Alert.

Now, the 15-year-old has been found safe in Petoskey.

“I was like, is this real? Is this really happening? With some investigation and talking to some employees, messaging them and asking what was going on.”

At first with more questions than answers this morning, a happy ending in the search for the 15-year-old girl who went missing and became the subject of an amber alert.

Before she was found in Petoskey earlier today, Jayme Elya and her coworkers at Culvers on Main St. in Gaylord were on a desperate search for answers.

“We’ve been working all night and morning to see if there’s anything anybody knew. I don’t know a lot at this point as to where she was taken, how she was taken. But we know she’s safe and that’s what’s important.”

Culver’s says it’s a wake up call for the community to use best safety practices at all times.

And a time to remind employees to be aware of their surroundings.

“How we should react in situations like this? Make sure doors are locked, leaving together, buddy systems, never being alone.”

A lesson for everyone — one Karra Favel’s says she will take to heart and change how she goes about her day.   

“Sometimes I walk home sometimes. I don’t think I’m going to be doing that anymore. It’ll be safer just to get a ride home,” Favel said.

Favel’s been at the restaurant for five years. Hearing about what happened to someone she works with every day hit close to home for her and everyone else…

Now just happy their co-worker is safe.

“I have two kids myself, so I was quite worried about it and everything. So I’m so happy she’s found and safe.”

Gaylord police believed the girl was being held against her will. They’re now investigating the incident.