Petoskey Police Ask for Help Finding Suspicious Person
Petoskey police need your help tracking down a man involved in a possible attempted abduction in Emmet County.
It happened around 3:20 Tuesday afternoon when 2 elementary students were walking home from Central Elementary School.
The students say a black SUV was following them on State Street near Emmet Street. They say the driver asked them to get in his car and help them look for his dog.
The children said the man had neatly styled hair and loud music was playing inside. He is described as a white male with a goatee.
The mother of one of the students followed says she is glad her son did the right thing. He rushed home and said he was followed, and had a description of the the man. She says it’s good to know he now knows how to respond in these kinds of situations.
The Police and Petoskey Public Schools are also happy the students spoke up about being followed. They say everyone will have their eyes peeled for the suspicious man, and will be a little more cautious.
Petoskey Public Safety says if your children walk home from school, it’s good to follow the following tips:
- Walk in groups, always. It’s always safer to have more than one person walking.
- Make sure your child goes straight from school to home without any stops.
- Be aware of how long it takes for your child to get home, so you know if they are running late.
- Make sure children know to be aware of their surroundings. Pay attention to people and cars. Be aware so they can tell when something doesn’t seem right.
- And as always, be weary of strangers.
Police are searching for a suspect and any tips will be helpful. If you have any information, contact the Petoskey Department of Public Safety at 231-347-2500.