Memorial Day Events
– Alpena: Memorial Service starts at 9:00 a.m., May 27th at the courthouse, and afterwards a parade down 9th Street, and then a ceremony at Little Flanders Field.
-Alpena: Dedication Ceremony at 1:00 p.m., May 27th at the War Memorial.
– Bellaire: 10:00 a.m., May 27th Memorial Day Parade
– Mancelona: 9:00 a.m., May 27th Memorial Day Parade, Downtown Mancelona led by the American Legion
– Benzonia Township: Grand Army of the Republic – Civil War Commemoration of 150th Anniversary of the Civil War :
To honor the veterans of the Civil War, and all veterans, the society is hosting the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, Robert Finch Camp 14, at the Benzonia Township Cemetery at 11AM, for a special dedication service. The ceremony is the actual ceremonial used 120 years ago by the Grand Army of the Republic (the Civil War veterans association) when they dedicated a veteran's grave. The Sons of Union Veterans will be in their Grand Army of the Republic and Civil War uniforms, and the ladies who participate will also be wearing period dress. As part of the service, which includes singing by a quartet from Benzie Central High School, lilacs will be placed at the GAR Memorial as would have been done in the late 1800s and early 1900s. A tour of Civil War veteran graves at about 11:45. No charge. For info call 231-882-5539, or see www.benziemuseum.org.
– Boyne City Memorial Day services are at:
- 8:00 a.m., Memorial Park, Boyne Falls
- 8:25 a.m., Memorial Park, Walloon Lake
- 8:50 a.m., Evangeline Cemetery, Evangeline Township
- 9:15 a.m., Dyer Cemetery
- 9:40 a.m., Lost as sea remembrance, Veterans Park, Boyne City Bay Township;
- 10:10 a.m. Advance Cemetery, Eveline Township
- 10:35 a.m., Wilson Cemetery, Wilson Township
- 10:45 a.m., Maple Lawn Cemetery, Boyne City
– Boyne Parade, May 27th: The Memorial Day parade in Boyne begins at 11:30 a.m. on Lake Street and continues to the waterfront and ends at Veterans Memorial Park. A 12:00 p.m. service will include music, bell ringing, gun salutes, and addresses. For more information, cal: 231-459-4220.
– Charlevoix Services: Begin on Memorial Day at 9:00 a.m., Brookside Cemetery, followed by a 10:00 a.m. parade ending at East Park. A service follows the parade and includes a firing party and taps.
-East Jordan, May 27th: Jordan Valley Glassworks will place 160 Niigima floats, each engraved with a name of a Northern Michigan military member who lost their life while in the service dating back to the 1860s, in the Jordan River.
– East Jordan: May 27th, Memorial Day services take place at:
- 7:30 a.m., Cavalry Cemetery
- 8:00 a.m., Pesek Cemetery
- 8:15 a.m., St. John Nepomucen Cemetery
- 8:35 a.m., Dunsmore Cemetery
- 9:10 a.m. Sunset Hill Cemetery
- 9:20 a.m., Grandvue Medical Care Facility
A Veterans' breakfast begins at 9:30 a.m. at the American Legion.
– East Jordan Parade May 27th: takes place at 10:30 a.m., followed by an 11:00 a.m. service with a gun salute, music, addresses, and wreath placement. @
– Mackinaw City: Parade starting at the state dock at 1:00 p.m. and ending in Colonial Michilimackinac at 2:30 p.m. @
– Mackinaw City: Grand Fireworks Display on Saturday May 25th at Dusk sponsored by the Mackinaw Area Visitors Bureau Mackinaw City.
– Downtown Indian River: Memorial Day Parade on May 27th 1:00-2:00
– Colonial Michilimackinac
- 9:00 a.m., Fort Michilimackinac opens
- 10:00 a.m., Memorial Day service, Marina Park
- 2:00 p.m, 18th Century Mackinac Fashion Show, Fort Parade Grounds
- 2:30 p.m., Reenactment at Fort Michilimackinac
– Sault Ste. Marie: Honoring our Veterans Service: Starts at Oaklawn Chapel Gardens, 15264 S Hwy M-129, Sault Sainte Marie, MI at 11:00 a.m. Special speakers and all Branches of the Military will be represented. Fore more information, call: 906-647-2407
– Sault Ste. Marie: May 30th, Memorial Day Parade starting at 7:00 p.m.
– Bateman Cemetery: May 26th Memorial Service at Bateman Cemetery at 10:50 a.m.
– Cornell: May 26th Memorial Day Parade, held on Main Street, with a ceremony at Cornell Cemetery following the parade.
– Downtown Chippewa Falls: May 27th Memorial Day Parade starting at 10:15 a.m. The parade starts at Willow and Bridge St. and goes to Irvine Park. Main program at the park's bandstand starts around 11:00 a.m. A flyover of a C130 is planned again this year.
– Prarie View Cemetery: May 27th Memorial Service at Prairie View Cemetery at 9:00 a.m.
– Clare VFW Memorial Day Parade: May 27th at 10:30 a.m., the parade begins at the Clare City Park & ends at Cherry Grove Cemetery. For information call: 989-386-7221
– Mackinaw City; 48th Annual Memorial Weekend Pageant: On May 25th, 26th, and 27th, over 400 cast members will re-create events that took place between the French, British, and Indian tribes, on June 2, 1763. Mackinaw City Parade on Saturday at 1:00 p.m., pageant on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. and Sunday and Monday at 2:30 p.m.
– Petoskey Services, May 27th: Memorial Day services begin with an 8:45 a.m. ceremony at Greenwood Ceremony, followed by a 9:00 a.m. ceremony at the World War II and Korean War monument off Mitchell Street (near the Marathon station), and a 9:15 a.m. ceremony at World War monument near City Hall.
– Harbor Springs: Memorial Day begins with a breakfast from 7:00-9:00 a.m., at the American Legion. The parade begins at 10:00 a.m. and ends at Zorn Park for a service. A gun salute, speech, and music will be part of the service with another service immediately thereafter at Lakeview Cemetery.
– Petoskey Memorial Day Parade:The May 27th parade begins at 10:00 a.m. along Mitchell Street and ends in Pennsylvania Park at the gazebo for a memorial service that includes speeches, wreath placement, music, a salute, and taps. A luncheon follows at the American Legion Hall.@
GRAND TRAVERSE COUNTY:
– Traverse City Memorial Day Service, Friday, May 24:
12:00 p.m., Veterans' Memorial Service at Linwood Cemetery, 8870 North Long Lake Rd., Traverse City, MI 49685. Program includes: Traverse City West High School Drumline, Veteran Presentation, Flag Raising & Salute, Invocation & Song, and guest speaker United States Coast Guard Air Station Commander Joseph R. Buzzella, Jr.
-Traverse City Memorial Day Service on Monday, May 27, 2013:
10:00 a.m., Service begins at Veterans Memorial site on 11th Street at the grounds of the Grand Traverse Commons. Bleacher seating available. The United States Coast Guard and Michigan National Guard will be participating. Command Sergeant Major Martin Wilcox United States Army Retired will be the keynote speaker. Students from Kingsley Schools will be performing and the service will be broadcast live on Newstalk 580 WTCM.
-Blair Township Memorial Day Services: American Legion Post #436 of Kingsley will hold services to honor our veterans at the following times on Memorial Day, May 27:
- 9:15 a.m. Maple Grove Cemetery
- 9:30 a.m. Monroe Center Cemetery
-Mount Pleasant Memorial Day Parade: 10:00 a.m., May 27th @
– Suttons Bay Memorial Day Ceremony: Located at the Veteran's Memorial on the Government Campus 9:00 a.m. on May 27th
– Mackinac Island Memorial Day Observance: Fort Mackinac Post Cemetery, May 27th at 8:30 a.m., a brief and informal Memorial Day observance to pay tribute to the soldiers who served at Fort Mackinac. Soldiers will assemble at 8:30 a.m. at Fort Mackinac, march to the cemetery, perform a short ceremony and salute, and return to the fort. No admission is charged for this event.@
– Crystal Mountain Resort and Spa: Memorial Day 5k at, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. on May 27th
– Manistee Memorial Day Ceremony: Merkey Road, starting at 9:00 a.m. on May 27th
– Manistee Memorial Day Parade: Starting at River Street at 10:00 a.m. on May 27th
– Ludington Memorial Day Salute: May 27th at 11:00 a.m., downtown Ludington.
– Ludington Memorial Day Ceremony: May 27th at 11:00 a.m. Courthouse Square
Ludington Memorial Day Parade: May 27th, starting at Ludington Avenue
– Pentwater Memorial Day Parade & Services: Happening at Village Marina, Village Green, and Pentwater Township Cemetery Downtown Pentwater.
– The American Legion Fort Mason: Post #285 invites veterans, families and friends, and the public to attend its Memorial Day Salute, at 11:00 am, on Monday, May 31st, at the Mason County Veterans Memorial on the Courthouse Lawn. Any veteran or currently-serving military person is invited to participate in Monday's Honor Guard. Fort Mason Post #285 is one of the few remaining American Legion posts that still uses its original issue WWI 30-06 bolt action rifles for its Honor Guard. Any veteran who would like to participate should call Mike Shanley, 347-9016, or Lawrence Spell, 429-6224.
– Scotville: Memorial Day service Mason County Central High School 300, W. Broadway starting at 9:30 a.m. May 27th
– Canadian Lakes Memorial Day Pancake Breakfast: May 25, 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
The Canadian Lakes Fire Station will be hosting a Memorial Day Pancake Breakfast, all proceeds will go towards the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life-Mecosta County.
– Remus Memorial Day Parade: May 27, 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
Remus Area Historical Society will be serving coffee and donuts to Veterans, Band members and others taking part in the Ceremony and the Remus Memorial Day parade. Meet at the Wheatland Township Hall. The donuts are kindly being donated by Grandpa's Bakery.
– Big Rapids Memorial Day Parade: May 27, 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Downtown Big Rapids will be hosting their Annual Memorial Day Parade. For more information call Darcy at 231-287-4670.
– Big Rapids Memorial Day Chicken BBQ: May 27, 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
The Big Rapids AmVet Post 1941 will be hosting a Memorial Day Chicken BBQ. Cost is $8 or 2 for $15. Dinner includes: 1/2 chicken, potato salad, baked beans, roll and butter. BBQ will be served until it's gone! The post is located just off Chippewa Lake Road, behind Eastside Party Store. For more information call Jean at 231-823-2366.
-Midland Memorial Day Parade: Downtown Midland at East Main Street, starting at 10:00 a.m. on May 27th @
– Sheridan: Sheridan Spring Fest, held by The Ladies Auxiliary of Lester J. Sitts Veteran of Foreign Wars post 5065. May 23rd, with Memorial Day tributes and parade on the 27th. @
– Hillman Township: Grave decorating May 27th
-Hart Memorial Day Parade: 11:00 a.m. on May 27th. Begins at Oceana County Courthouse and ends at Hart Cemetery Service. @
– Rose City Memorial Day Services; Friday, May 24: The Rose City Veterans Memorial will be held at the entrance to the city park starting at 11:00 a.m. Flag raising, a gun salute and a memorial service are all part of the festivities. The Rose City Middle School band will also perform.
– West Branch: Ogemaw County Veterans Affairs will hold its annual Memorial Day parade in downtown West Branch Monday, May 27, starting at 11:00 a.m. beginning at the intersection of Second Street and Houghton Avenue. The parade will continue through town to the Veterans Memorial across from the county building. A Memorial Day ceremony will take place at the memorial immediately following the parade.
– Skidway Lake: Monday, May 27, the American Legion will hold a balloon release and hot dog sale. American Legion Post Commander Gary Fuller said people will be able to purchase a balloon for $1. A veteran's name will be placed in the balloon to be released. The Thursday following Memorial Day, May 30, the American Legion will host a Memorial Day ceremony at the Mills Township Cemetery on Elbow Lake Road. The ceremony will begin at 11:00 a.m.@
– Reed City Memorial Day Parade: 9:00 a.m., May 27th, Downtown Reed City
– Luzerne Memorial Day Cook Out: Luzerne American Legion from 12:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
– Mio: Memorial Day service is scheduled to take place at the Oscoda County Courthouse Lawn in Mio. Ron Knott, commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 162, said members of that post are expected to be at the ceremony, along with members of the American Legion Post No. 348, and the Mio Knights of Columbus chapter.@
– Gaylord: Louis M Groen Memorial Day 5K/10K Challenge
May 27th 9:00 AM To 12:00 PM and the Louis M Groen Nature Preserve Website: http://otsegocountyparksrec.com/web/wb/ $20 registration at 8:00 a.m. the day of the event.
The event will meet at the main entrance and parking lot at the corner of Gingell Road and Waters Road in Johannesburg. Staring times listed are “SHARP” and events will begin at the exact times listed, weather permitting.
– Gaylord Memorial Day Parade: May 27th, 10:00 a.m. – The parade starts at the VFW Hall and ending downtown at the southeast corner of the courthouse, near the memorial. @
PRESQUE ISLE COUNTY:
– Rogers City Memorial Day Service: May 27th from 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. at the county courthouse, proceeding to the cemetery for additional services. There will also be a pet parade downtown Rogers City, “purple Poodles,” and an ice cream social downtown.
– Roscommon: Charles M. Engel VFW Post 4159, it's Auxiliaries and American Legion Post 96 of Roscommon will be observing Memorial Day with the following services on May 27th:
- 9:30 a.m. Oakwood Cemetery
- 10:00 a.m. Markey Cemetery
- 10:30 a.m. Gerrish Cemetery
- 11:00 a.m. Higgins Cemetery
- 11:30 a.m. Pioneer Cemetery
There will be a ceremony at the monument in front of the CRAF Center in downtown Roscommon at 12:00 noon. The public is cordially invited to attend any or all of the services.
– Coleman: The Coleman Community is pleased to announce plans are underway for the community's annual Memorial Day parade. The name chosen for this year's holiday parade is “United By Sacrifice”. Keeping to a patriotic theme, Coleman's Memorial Day parade will be held on Monday, May 27 at 9:30 a.m. The parade will begin lining up at the Railway Center parking lot (enter from Saginaw Road) at 8:30 a.m. This year's parade will travel down Washington across Marsh to Adams then to 6th Street, on to Main, Down Railway and back to the Railway Center. An invitation is extended to everyone in the Coleman and our surrounding communities to take part in this year's Memorial Day parade. Won't you consider participating in this year's parade; show your tribute to those who have united us through sacrifice. Questions concerning the parade or to make an entry please contact Roxy Smith at 989-465-1260.
– Cadillac Memorial Day Parade & Veterans Tribute, Monday, May 27th: 9:00 a.m. parade starting at The Cadillac American Legion Post 94.
For more information on being in the parade, email firstname.lastname@example.org Ritchie Harris at (231) 468-8311
– Cadillac: The Cadillac Honor Guard will hold a special tribute to all lost US Navy and US Coast Guard sailors with the laying of the wreath on the city dock 9:30 a.m.
– Cadillac Memorial Day Services: Special service honoring all Veterans at the Cadillac Veterans Memorial Stadium 11:00 a.m. The Cadillac American Legion Post 94 is located at 422 N Mitchell St, Cadillac, MI 49601