Navy Veteran Fighting Cancer Loses Manistee County Home

Already dealing with a life-threatening disease, a Wellston man returned home from his medical treatments Thursday night to find his house destroyed by fire. Christopher Malama has stage four throat cancer and was on his way back from Ann Arbor, where he receives care, when he heard his house was on fire. The Navy veteran had just found out his cancer was getting worse and he would need additional treatment. Malama says the fire started after a man who has been living on his property lit the wood burning stove so the place would be warm when he arrived home from the trip. He lost two Saint Bernards in the fire. There is a spaghetti dinner this Sunday from 4:00p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the “We Knead Dough” restaurant in Wellston. All the money raised will go to Chris. There will also be another fundraiser October 23rd from 11:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Saint Joseph's Civic Club on Vine and 9th Streets in Manistee. 9 and 10's Kyle Mitchell and Photojournalist Eli Gardiner have more on the story.