Granholm Says MI Schools Unlikely to See $127 Cut

The temporary reprieve school districts got last month from a $127-per-student cut looks like it's here to stay. Gov. Jennifer Granholm told reporters Monday that school districts still will have to absorb a cut equal to $165 per student. And 39 wealthier school districts will continue to see cuts of up to $300 more per student. But now that revenues have stabilized and the state has ended up with about $150 million more than expected, Granholm says the $127-per-student cut “won't need to happen.” School administrators have warned they're considering layoffs, busing cuts and other cost-cutting moves to deal with reductions. Meanwhile, Gov. Granholm has signed new laws affecting how failing schools are run and how teachers are evaluated. The bills signed Monday include provisions for the state to take over the lowest-achieving 5 percent of Michigan schools. The state's dropout age will raise from 16 to 18 starting with the class of 2016, more charter schools will be allowed to open and new teacher certification rules will be adopted. The legislation is part of Michigan's effort to win money from the Obama administration's Race to the Top competition tied to education reform. Michigan could get up to $400 million if it's among the winners. There's no guarantee the state will win money. But supporters said Monday the changes were needed anyway. (Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)