UPDATE: Police Investigating Deadly Shooting in GT Co. - Northern Michigan's News Leader

UPDATE: Police Investigating Deadly Shooting in GT Co.

Posted: Updated:
March 24, 2014 -

Monday 9&10 News learned the Michigan State Police Grayling Crime Lab team is working to reconstruct the scene of the shooting to learn what really happened the night Roger Howard lost his life.

Today 9&10's Marisa McKay and photojournalist Jeremy Erickson sat down with Roger's Mother Rhonda Hudson, and his twin brother Ronnie Howard, to learn more about the man they say will be greatly missed.

The Howard family is planning to host a Celebration of Life to remember Roger this Saturday at the Salvation Army in Traverse City.

As of Monday, deputies haven't made any arrest, and  say their investigation remains open.


Sunday, March 23:

9&10 News has new details on a deadly shooting in Grand Traverse County.

Deputies say they were called to a report of a shooting around 11:30pm on Friday to an address on Black Bear Lane in Long Lake Township.

They say the caller, from Traverse City, told 911 there was an accidental shooting in the home. 

Emergency responders found a 29 year-old man, Roger Rex Howard, from Traverse City, in the woman's home with a single gun shot wound to the upper chest. Howard was sent to Munson Medical Center where he died. Howard and the shooter were acquainted.

Deputies say the preliminary investigation shows that the woman was at her home with 3 children.

Deputies say Howard had called the woman earlier in the evening and asked to come to her home. They say she went to his Garfield Twp. apartment and brought him over to her house. While at her home, an argument broke out in the garage. The caller told deputies she asked Howard several times to leave and that he was not welcome in her home, and then she went inside.

The caller reports that she went upstairs to check on the children when she heard Howard quickly enter the residence and come upstairs. She then went into her gun safe in the bedroom and grabbed a pistol. She tells police she was fearful he was going to hurt her or the children.

She says before entering the bedroom Howard said that he would rather die than leave. He then walked towards the woman and grabbed the pistol.

She says that she then heard the gun discharge and saw Howard walk out of the bedroom. Howard walked into the hallway and then collapsed. That's when she noticed he had been shot in the chest and called 911. 

The Sheriff's Office has not made any arrest or made any determination if charges will be sought in this case to this point. An autopsy has been done and the department is waiting for the results.