Cold Temps Cause Fire Equipment to Freeze Up - Northern Michigan's News Leader

Cold Temps Cause Fire Equipment to Freeze Up

Posted: Updated:

Frigid temperatures posed another obstacle for fire crews battling a house fire in Roscommon County this morning.

It started around 6 am in Markey Township near Houghton Lake Drive and Breckenridge Road.

The township fire department says they were told a wood furnace explosion started the fire.

No one was home at the time of the fire, but people were able to get a dog out safely.

It's the second fire in the area in the last 3 days.

The captain says the extreme cold caused several of their air masks, jackets and equipment to freeze up.

Crews had to run hot water through the pumps to thaw out the lines. After several hours, they say it's all back to normal and are ready for the next emergency.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Assessing Spring Storm Damage

    Assessing Spring Storm Damage

    Monday, April 14 2014 2:13 PM EDT2014-04-14 18:13:04 GMT
    Credit: Katy MarshlafiffCredit: Katy Marshlafiff
    Most of the heavy rain has ended, now people across Northern Michigan are beginning to assess the damage and start cleanup.   Mecosta and Osceola counties were hit the hardest.   You can see the weekend
    Most of the heavy rain has ended, now people across Northern Michigan are beginning to assess the damage and start cleanup.   Mecosta and Osceola counties were hit the hardest.   You can see the weekend
  • Amazing Northern Michigan Homes: Portage Lake

    Amazing Northern Michigan Homes: Portage Lake

    Thursday, April 17 2014 5:28 PM EDT2014-04-17 21:28:40 GMT
    This home was originally built for a lumber manufacturer and his family to use for the summer residence more than 100 years ago. Today, the home has been completely renovated and insulated, but still
    This home was originally built for a lumber manufacturer and his family to use for the summer residence more than 100 years ago. Today, the home has been completely renovated and insulated, but still
  • Man Dies in Alpena County Home Explosion

    Man Dies in Alpena County Home Explosion

    Friday, April 18 2014 11:55 PM EDT2014-04-19 03:55:35 GMT
    A 22 year old man from Hillman died Friday night after a large explosion at a home in Wellington Township. Michigan State Police say the man was loading a wood boiler into an attached garage when the
    A 22 year old man from Hillman died Friday night after a large explosion at a home in Wellington Township. Michigan State Police say the man was loading a wood boiler into an attached garage when the