Emmet Co. House Fire Began In Wood Stove - Northern Michigan's News Leader

Emmet Co. House Fire Began In Wood Stove

Posted: Updated:

A house fire in Emmet County had firefighters fighting from the inside out.

Crews responded at 10:00 PM Thursday night to a fire that started in a wood burning stove and spread to an attic on Grubaugh Road in Alanson.

The home has many layers of roofing, so firefighters struggled to put the out from confined spaces on the inside.

The house is a total loss, mainly due to water damage.

Assistant Fire Chief Scott Granger says, "one of the biggest problems is, we had to fight the fire from the inside-out. Because the roof was metal and with the temperatures we were facing, the water was turning into instant ice. And it was not a place we wanted to put one of our men. On top of a metal roof, spraying water would just turn into a skating rink instantly. "

Crews also had a difficult time getting up to the house as the driveway was not cleared.  

The fire department stresses the importance of removing snow in case of an emergency.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Assessing Spring Storm Damage

    Assessing Spring Storm Damage

    Monday, April 14 2014 2:13 PM EDT2014-04-14 18:13:04 GMT
    Credit: Katy MarshlafiffCredit: Katy Marshlafiff
    Most of the heavy rain has ended, now people across Northern Michigan are beginning to assess the damage and start cleanup.   Mecosta and Osceola counties were hit the hardest.   You can see the weekend
    Most of the heavy rain has ended, now people across Northern Michigan are beginning to assess the damage and start cleanup.   Mecosta and Osceola counties were hit the hardest.   You can see the weekend
  • Clare County Investigating Suspicious Barn Fire

    Clare County Investigating Suspicious Barn Fire

    Sunday, April 20 2014 9:08 AM EDT2014-04-20 13:08:29 GMT
    The Clare Fire Department responded to a suspicious barn fire shortly after 3:30 Saturday afternoon. The fire was off of 7th Street in the city of Clare. The barn was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived. The barn was over 50 years old and was used for storage. An adjacent shed, and a wooden fence suffered minor damage. Firefighter...
    The Clare Fire Department responded to a suspicious barn fire shortly after 3:30 Saturday afternoon. The fire was off of 7th Street in the city of Clare. The barn was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived. The barn was over 50 years old and was used for storage. An adjacent shed, and a wooden fence suffered minor damage. Firefighter...
  • Man Dies in Alpena County Home Explosion

    Man Dies in Alpena County Home Explosion

    Friday, April 18 2014 11:55 PM EDT2014-04-19 03:55:35 GMT
    A 22 year old man from Hillman died Friday night after a large explosion at a home in Wellington Township. Michigan State Police say the man was loading a wood boiler into an attached garage when the
    A 22 year old man from Hillman died Friday night after a large explosion at a home in Wellington Township. Michigan State Police say the man was loading a wood boiler into an attached garage when the