Michigan expects 2 key players back for opener - Northern Michigan's News Leader

Michigan expects 2 key players back for opener

Posted: Updated:

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- Michigan coach Brady Hoke says he has "no doubt" running back Fitzgerald Toussaint and cornerback Blake Countess will be healthy enough to start the 2013 season.

Toussaint broke his left leg in a game five months ago and Countess tore a knee ligament in last year's opener. Both were able to participate in non-contact drills this spring, but were not cleared to play in Saturday's situational scrimmage.

Hoke says linebacker Jake Ryan could possibly play in mid-October, eight months after having knee surgery.

The banged-up Wolverines seemed to get through their final spring practice without another player getting seriously hurt. Tight end Devin Funchess went to the sideline with a limp and was later walking gingerly. Hoke said Funchess would be all right.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Kalkaska Kindergartner Passes Away Friday

    Kalkaska Kindergartner Passes Away Friday

    Monday, September 15 2014 6:19 PM EDT2014-09-15 22:19:09 GMT
    Family and friends remember a young girl who lost her life this weekend.
    Family and friends remember a young girl who lost her life this weekend.
  • UPDATE: Woman Dies in Cadillac Car Accident, Man Arrested

    UPDATE: Woman Dies in Cadillac Car Accident, Man Arrested

    Monday, September 15 2014 1:19 PM EDT2014-09-15 17:19:22 GMT
    An update on the deadly Cadillac accident. State Police have identifies the downstate victim of the crash between a car and semi-trailer early Saturday morning on M-115 in Wexford County.
    An update on the deadly Cadillac accident. State Police have identifies the downstate victim of the crash between a car and semi-trailer early Saturday morning on M-115 in Wexford County.
  • Phillips Baby Kate Murder Case Dismissed

    Phillips Baby Kate Murder Case Dismissed

    Monday, September 15 2014 6:06 PM EDT2014-09-15 22:06:19 GMT
    A judge dismissed an open murder charge against Sean Phillips, the father of Katherine Phillips, who disappeared more than three years ago.
    A judge dismissed an open murder charge against Sean Phillips, the father of Katherine Phillips, who disappeared more than three years ago.