Lake County Sheriff: Woman Dead From Apparent Carbon Monoxide - Northern Michigan's News Leader

Lake County Sheriff: Woman Dead From Apparent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Posted: Updated:

A Lake County woman is found dead inside her home -- the apparent victim of carbon monoxide poisoning.

With the temperatures dropping, we're all heating our homes to keep warm, but it appears that this woman's malfunctioning furnace is actually what killed her.

Susan Arrington was found dead in her Chase Township home this morning.

Her family first discovered her body inside the home -- and called 9-1-1.

First responders arrived, but there was nothing they could do.

An air monitoring test discovered a dangerously high level of carbon monoxide.

It had built up due to a mechanical problem with her furnace.

"When your furnace is not operating properly -- it's emitting these gases inside your home, there's no way for those gases to escape, and they accumulate -- and then we have issues like this," said Lake County Sheriff Bob Hilts.

While most people are celebrating the holiday season... It's quite the opposite emotion for Susan's friends and family.

They're mourning the sudden, tragic death of a loved one.

"Any time there's an unsuspecting death like this, or accidental, such as it is in this case. To just go, visiting family, and to find something this traumatic, it's gotta be sad for everyone," said Hilts.

Yesterday, Susan was treated and released from a local hospital for an undisclosed reason.

It's unclear if that had any connection with the poisoning.

Three dogs were also poisoned in the home -- but none of them died.

9&10's Evan Dean and Photojournalist Jake Johnson spoke with investigators today and have the story.