Illegally-Sold Cider May Have Caused E.coli Outbreak in Antrim - Northern Michigan's News Leader

Illegally-Sold Cider May Have Caused E.coli Outbreak in Antrim County

Posted: Updated:

Health officials are looking into several cases of E. coli poisoning -- and say a bad batch of apple cider may be causing the sickness.

It's a classic fall drink, but health officials think someone's been making it without the taking the proper precautions.

Now, that product could be behind a small outbreak of E. coli in Antrim County.

9&10's Evan Dean and Photojournalist Jake Johnson spoke to the local health department -- and an orchard that makes cider properly.

They have more on their concerns.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Assessing Spring Storm Damage

    Assessing Spring Storm Damage

    Monday, April 14 2014 2:13 PM EDT2014-04-14 18:13:04 GMT
    Credit: Katy MarshlafiffCredit: Katy Marshlafiff
    Most of the heavy rain has ended, now people across Northern Michigan are beginning to assess the damage and start cleanup.   Mecosta and Osceola counties were hit the hardest.   You can see the weekend
    Most of the heavy rain has ended, now people across Northern Michigan are beginning to assess the damage and start cleanup.   Mecosta and Osceola counties were hit the hardest.   You can see the weekend
  • Amazing Northern Michigan Homes: Portage Lake

    Amazing Northern Michigan Homes: Portage Lake

    Thursday, April 17 2014 5:28 PM EDT2014-04-17 21:28:40 GMT
    This home was originally built for a lumber manufacturer and his family to use for the summer residence more than 100 years ago. Today, the home has been completely renovated and insulated, but still
    This home was originally built for a lumber manufacturer and his family to use for the summer residence more than 100 years ago. Today, the home has been completely renovated and insulated, but still
  • Man Dies in Alpena County Home Explosion

    Man Dies in Alpena County Home Explosion

    Friday, April 18 2014 11:55 PM EDT2014-04-19 03:55:35 GMT
    A 22 year old man from Hillman died Friday night after a large explosion at a home in Wellington Township. Michigan State Police say the man was loading a wood boiler into an attached garage when the
    A 22 year old man from Hillman died Friday night after a large explosion at a home in Wellington Township. Michigan State Police say the man was loading a wood boiler into an attached garage when the