Excavation Work Causes Gas Leak on Road in Kincheloe
Crews in a Chippewa County town spent the afternoon patching a leaking gas line.
It happened on Windermere Drive in the town of Kincheloe just after noon on Wednesday.
An excavating team was working on digging up the road to replace a water line, when a rock fell on part of the gas line, puncturing a hole in it and causing the leak.
Those who live on the street had to temporarily evacuate their homes.
A mother says she was at home with her kids when she started smelling the fumes
“I was nursing my daughter and I smelled gas, so I got up and I came outside and it was very, very strong. You could actually hear the gas line spraying it was really loud. It concerned me, I know things can blow up. I was concerned for my children mostly,” said Chenoa Locke.
DTE Energy was on scene patching the leak, they say things should be back to normal this evening.