Red Cross Sets Up Shelter For Those Impacted By Midland Apartment Fire
Nearly 200 people were evacuated from their homes after a fire at a Midland high rise apartment.
The flames are out right now but the rescue efforts at Greenhill Apartments were a challenge for firefighters.
9&10’s Lauren Scafidi was in Midland with the latest on relief efforts.
Luckily, no one was hurt in the fire that started Monday evening.
Fire crews say the flames started on the eighth floor and was likely started by a candle.
The tenant of that apartment was not at home when it started and an officer on the scene says that this apartment was the only one affected by the flames.
Twenty-nine people are at the Red Cross shelter set up at Midland High School.
Annette Swain, the Disaster Program Manager with The Red Cross said the shelter opened at 9:00 p.m. to provide hospitality to the affected by the fire.
Officials say residents will be able to go back in the building around noon Tuesday to get their belongings.
Stay with Northern Michigan’s News Leader as we continue to bring you the latest on air and online.