Lightning Strike Causes Grand Traverse County Home to Catch Fire

A lightning strike caught a Grand Traverse County home on fire Thursday morning.

Grand Traverse Emergency Services tell us fire crews rushed to the house on Hammond Road in East Bay Township around 1:00 a.m.

The fire started after lightning struck a tree in front of the house causing a large branch to fall to the ground. 

The current found the gas service line and tracer line, igniting the gas meter on the side of home. 

9&10’s Lauren Scafidi spoke with the regional manager at DTE and says the DTE meter manifold is damaged and there’s a leak to the service yard.

The regional manager also says the natural gas is off and they’re in the process of making repairs. 

The home owners want to remain anonymous but say they were asleep when the fire happened. 

They say smoke filled their house so the called 911.

They have lived in the house for 44 years years and are shaken up but OK. 

Fortunately the only damage was on the outside of the home and a little into the second story framing.

Stay with Northern Michigan’s News Leader as we work to bring you the latest details.

Related Articles

Comments

comments